Tuesday, June 27, 2006

D.T.'s

Consider this a warning to all my friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, and drivers' on the road...
I'm giving up soda pops.
When our current supply of sodas (and we've quite a few, so it may be a couple of weeks or so before I'm soda-free) is gone, then that's it.
I can tell you right now, this is going to make me quite irritable. Cranky will take on a whole meaning before I'm off the hard-stuff. I've no doubt I'll suffer through D.T.'s.
If I thought going from regular soda to diet soda was hard when I started dieting 3 years ago (which I gave up dieting over a year ago), then I've no doubt this will be torture.
This probably seems rather extreme, especially for a woman who's husband delivers soda pop for a living. It's the very bread & butter of our existence. But I gotta makes some changes in my life.
So why am I doing this you ask?
Well, I've been reading up on osteoperosis, which I've not even been diagnosed with, but I live in fear of getting (probably more so than the big "C"). The phospherous in sodas counteracts any calcium I take in. So all the milk I've been drinking (not that it's any great quantity), has been for naught!
Grrr.
Yeah, yeah, I know, sodas are bad for you... always have known it, but who cares?, right?
I guess this is just what I needed to finally prod me along. (grumble, grumble). Time to start taking a little bit better care of myself.
Am I going to start dieting again? Probably not, at least, not like I was before. Let me start with cutting out the sodas then go from there.

3 comments:

Seldom_Scene said...

Good job and good luck! I've pretty much cut them out a while back. Sometimes I can't help myself when I crave a Coke though. Other than that, it's unsweet tea, and bottled water. I've also cut out potatoes, but that's another story.

The Whitworths said...

I need to do this to. During pregnancy I was only allowed one a day, which was fine at the time, and sometimes I didn't even have to have it. Since giving birth it's like I have a license to drink them all day long, so it's going to be very hard for me to quit. Mabye I will be encouraged by your example.....maybe now my health lies in your very hands:}

pita-woman said...

I could NEVER cut out potatoes. Even if they told me potatoes were the leading cause of cancer or tuberculosis or something, I think I'd just have to risk it. I need potatoes worse than soda anyday!