Monday, June 26, 2006

Week in review

The past week (hell, the past 2 weeks!) have been very busy, both personally and at work.
Of course you already know about our new Meatlocker-5000 we had installed the previous weekend and our Belle of Louisville Cruise that didn't even leave the dock. But let me fill you in on the rest of the week...

You know it's going to be a bad day when...
You get pulled over on the way to work for speeding. When that happens, you may as well go back home and go to bed. This didn't happen to me, but did happen to my co-worker. Fortunately, the cop let her off with a warning, and she came on into work.

Jesus laid down on the job...
That same afternoon, we were setting up the chapel for a catholic service to be held that evening. They had pushed the casket into place, the torchere (sp?) floor lamps were in place at either end of the casket, umpteen baskets of flowers were placed hither & yon around the room, either on the floor, on tables, or on plant stands, and Jesus on the cross was hung on a stand and placed behind the casket to look down upon the deceased. Then Jesus decided to take a nap! He fell over, knocking the antique floor lamp over, breaking the globe. When the lamp fell over, it knocked over a tall table that was holding a potted plant, which then spilled potting soil all over the carpet. A florist that was delivering flowers while this was going on, knocked over a vase and spilled water all over the floor. Talk about a muddy mess! But fortuantely, we were able to get it all cleaned up before the family arrived for first viewing.

Dry Clean Only...
I don't often take clothes to the dry cleaners, simply because I think it's a scam. Charging all that money to launder a single piece of clothing, when I can wash 20 loads of laundry at home for the same (if not less) money. But as I had the memorial service for John's step-mother to attend this Saturday (24th), I wanted to wear my nice, black, dress slacks.
Wednesday morning I dropped them off at Plainview Cleaners in LaGrange on my way to work. The clerk printed up my ticket and said they'd be ready after 5pm on Friday. I said, "Oh, that's no good. I get off work at 4:30, and I can't hang around waiting on them. And I need them for a funeral on Saturday."
She said she still had some Thursday items that hadn't been sent out yet, she'd just add my pants to them and they'd be ready by 5 pm on Thurday. Perfect.
Friday morning, I stopped to get my pants. I pulled out the claim ticket and noticed that the clerk had put next Thursday's date, the 29th, as the pick-up date. Oh no!!! I walked in, the clerk (a different one) asked, "how may I help you?" I said, "we may have a problem here", and explained the situation to her. She went and looked on the rack, and fortunately, my pants were ready. Hallelujah!! I paid my bill and left.
Saturday morning as the husband and I were getting dressed to go to the church, I took my freshly laundered pants out of the plastic, off the hanger, removed the tag that was pinned to it, and slipped them on.
Hmm, something's not right. Can't.... quite... make... them.... fit..... Oh my gosh!, have I put on that much weight since I last wore them 2 or 3 weeks prior????? No way!!! I mean, they weren't a little bit too tight, they were like 3 sizes too small too tight!! Not only that, I looked down, and the pants that previously had fit me as if they had been tailor made for me, now looked like I was expecting a flood! Not only had the dry cleaners shrunk them in the waist, they'd shrunk the length. I now burst out in tears. I was soooo not happy with Plainview Cleaners! But I didn't have time to deal with them at that moment. I had to scramble to find something else to wear and get that ironed.
When I arrived at the cleaners this morning, I walked in to find yet another clerk working there. She too asked, "how may I help you?", and again I said, "we may have a problem here." I told her I was none to happy with her company at that moment and explained the situation. She took the pants, filled out a work-order and said they could stretch them back out.
Stretch them out? How? They weren't spandex! Well, I can't wait to see how well they stretch my pants out. If they can do that, I may send them my spare closet full of clothes that needs to be stretched out, I could save a bundle not having to buy new clothes. What a concept!!

1 comment:

Seldom_Scene said...

Jesus laid down on the job! That's hilarious. I could just imagine the sounds of the catastrophe and deceased just "there." If there's one thing that really gets me going in life, let it be none other than a vicious racket!