Monday, June 05, 2006

more break-in stuff

As the week has progressed, we keep learning of yet more and more neighbors, both in our neighborhood and the surrounding subdivisions, that were also targets of the recent crime-wave.
The one that saddens me the most: a young couple, just two streets behind us, had their garage door opener stolen from their vehicle. The criminals opened their garage door and entered the house. I don't know if the homeowners were home at the time or not, but...
the criminals let both of their dogs out of the house. One of the dogs ran out onto Chamberlain Lane, was hit by a car and killed.
How horrible is that???
And up until now, I was feeling safe by having our 3 giant dogs in the house.
Their dogs were large, maybe about the size of a German Shepherd. I can't help but wonder if the dogs even tried to defend the home, or just saw an open door and took their chance at taking a "freedom" run.
Now it makes me wonder what our dogs would do?
Will they stay and defend us and our home? Or will they take the opportunity to bolt out the door if it's held open for them?
I can replace anything in the house (or even if I can't), nothing in our home means as much to me as our dogs. I hope I never come home or wake up to find that someone has let them out and that I have lost them. I dare say, that would just about kill me.

2 comments:

Junosmom said...

That's terrible. Has there been any progress in the investigation? One would think 3 GDs would be enough of a burglar alarm, but I guess they could just let them out. These people sound determined.

Steph said...

We have always joked that Hailey would use her paw to direct the burglars to the good stuff. Read in a Hailey voice, "Um, Mom's stuff is upstairs and Dad's good stuff is in this closet" as she lays down puts her paws over her eyes. Not such a funny joke anymore.