A friend and former co-worker retired from his job recently. Not because he wanted to, but because my former (and now his former) employer forced him into retirement. SOB's!!! They informed him early in December that he had to be gone by the end of the year (2009).
Last Thursday (12/31), I had a dream that my friend had passed away. It was a bizarre dream in that his wife came to me to make the funeral arrangements, even though I'm not a funeral director and even though she was using a funeral home on the far side of Jefferson County. I remember stressing trying to write his obituary and over the fact he was being buried at "that" place ("that" place being the cemetery that kicked us both to the curb after years of faithful service). I argued he wouldn't want to be buried there, as his wife's family was at a small local cemetery and his family was at Cave Hill.
The alarm woke me and the dream ended, but it left me very disturbed all morning. When I arrived at work, I told my boss about the dream, as he knows my friend too. He said, "well, in a way he has died, or will soon".
He meant this figuratively, and I knew it. My friend lived for his job. He's one of the hardest working people I've ever known in my life. Honest as a day is long. He'd help anybody in any way he could, whether you were friend or stranger. I know how devastating this must be for him, and I wonder what he's going to do now to fill his time.
Later that day, the local, weekly newspaper was delivered. I turned to page 2 where the obituaries are and while just giving them a quick look over, something on the opposite page caught my eye. It was a picture of my friend with a "congratulation on his retirement" that his employer had put in the paper. I thought it was rather appropriate that it was right next to the obituaries.
3 comments:
If you see him, suggest that he find a cause to volunteer for. It's important for us to have a purpose...something to live for. For the time I was out of work, I was stressed and depressed, I gained weight....It was awful and I quit caring about how I looked and what I was wearing. Looking back, I should have found something to be passionate about besides housework and blogging.
I feel bad for your friend. My Grandfather went down hill fast after he retired. Some people have to keep busy.
I hope he'll be fine.
Hugs!!
This saying by Helen Keller is one of my most favorites:
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
I looked at the closed door for too long. Encourage your friend to find the door that opened for him.
Hugs!!
There are so many people that need people like him, competent and with time. I hope he finds that.
Post a Comment