It's that time of year again, when the seed catalogs start filling the mail boxes, and we start to dream of warmer springtime weather so we can start planting our gardens and seeing new life emerge from the earth.
It's times like these that I wish even more that we lived in the country, someplace with a couple of acres so I could have a nice sized garden and plant lots and lots of trees, bushes and flowers.
Of course, now that the swimming pool is gone, that frees up a substantial amount of yard space.
I do believe I've found a someone with a dump truck & a bobcat that can fill in our hole AND, perhaps level out that horrible mound in the corner. I told John I want those cedar trees cut down (never did like them), and once that area is cleared, it would free up a lot of space as well.
So, as I was looking through the Burgess seed catalog last night, I came across persimmon and paw paw trees. I haven't seen either one of those since I was a little girl. My grandmother's next door neighbor had them in her yard and the branches of the paw paw hung over the fence into my gma's yard. I loved eating them and was rather sad when the tree finally was cut down.
The persimmons my gma would go over and pick, sometimes I'd help her gather them up and she'd make jelly or pudding out of them. I could eat a few of them straight from the tree, 'though sometimes they'd make me pucker, but I never liked the cooked products she made.
Yep, the seed catalogs always remind me of my childhood, whether those trees I mentioned, the honeysuckle we kids would pick and drink the nectar from, or the concord grapes my grandparents grew and my gma would make into jelly or, best of all, grape pies. My favorite!!!
4 comments:
Hmmm I can't even think of spring yet cos it's so cold lately.
Thanks for stopping at my blog, I love Green Eyed!!!
I'm having a giveaway today if you're interested.. thanks.
We have persimmons and paw paw trees at our place Pita, although none of use eat them! Moth is eyeing off the quinces and giving them special attention...laughs...and we are eating lots of lychees, nothing better than eating from your own yard, go for it, plant away I say :)
We have one persimmon tree. It it too big to pick them, though. The ones that fell weren't very good, but I've not had one off the tree before.
McG, your blogger id almost freaked me out when it popped up on my blog. At riding lessons last night, we were asked what a McGillicutty was (in slang), 'course we had no idea.
Kyles, I'm jealous!!
Jm, if I had a persimmon tree, most of that fruit would go to waste as well, I could only eat it in small doses. The pawpaws on the other hand...
Post a Comment