My darling black child, Bootsy, is having surgery this coming Friday. Four days and counting.
She's got a funky growth on her right hind leg, which initially was slow growing, but has recently started growing rather fast, and she won't leave it alone. She's neurotic. If she isn't chewing on a toy or blanket, then she's chewing on herself. Yes, I have a child that self-mutilates.
As if this isn't bad enough, she has a small skin-tag on her right front leg, right at the elbow. If she bumps it on something it will start bleeding easily, and it's very difficult to get it stopped. Lately though, Miss Neurotic has started chewing on this growth as well, which has made the wound larger, and meaning it bleeds more often and in even larger quantities, sometimes several times a day. I don't know how she's kept from bleeding to death.
My house looks like a major crime scene. At times it looks as if the Manson Family did the decorating.
I was trying everything yesterday to get the flow of blood to stop... pressure didn't work, ice on the area didn't work, super glue didn't work. Finally the styptic(sp?) powder slowed it enough for us to get a gauze pad over it and then several feet of gauze wrapped around her leg to hold it in place. Of course, she wanted to pull the bandage off, and did eventually succeed at this later in the day. It got to the point, once we had her bandaged, that I fed her 2 tranquilizers, put the muzzle on her, and locked her in the dog crate.
Of course before I had tried all this, we had put the e-collar on her. What a disaster! She freaked out!! I suddenly felt as if I had a 110 lb. dog stuck to my leg as if attached by velcro. I couldn't take one step away from her without her scrambling to catch up to me and cling to my leg. This made it difficult for me to get anything accomplished, so that's when we had to resort to the muzzle and tranquilizers. I hated doing that to her, but I was truly at my wits end. As soon as I did take the muzzle off that evening, she immediately started trying to chew on her leg again. **sigh**
I made her sleep in the dog crate last night (without the muzzle), I told John, "if she's going to mutilate herself and bleed to death, at least she'll be confined to the crate instead of bleeding to death all over the house." Over night, she didn't mutilate, but once breakfast was over this morning and she was back on her cushion, she started in again, so I had to put the muzzle back on her and put her back in the crate.
I don't know what I'm going to do for the next few days 'til she has her surgery. Livvie has to use the crate during the day while we're at work because of her epilepsy. And I don't want to muzzle Bootsy while we're gone. I suppose all I can do is keep feeding her doggy-downers when we have to leave to help relax her, cross our fingers and hope for the best.
What I'm really stressing over is what's going to happen once the surgery is done and she has stitches in both legs. If it's anything like when she had stitches in her tail, she'll self-mutilate on a whole new level! That's why she now has a 6" nub instead of her long beautiful tail, because she mutilated the end of it something awful pulling out stitches.
I've already told the boss I may be bringing her to work with me every day next week so that I can keep an eye on her. He said "okay, as long as she doesn't make noise". I just told him not to try petting her as she hates most men.
I'm sure the Boosy-saga will provide much fodder for my blog over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned...
2 comments:
Oh my! Poor poor Bootsy!!!!
Ah, that's too bad. Hope the surgery helps.
Post a Comment